Re: Toroid Effect

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <danreind-at-shaw.ca>

Hello All,

Well I fired up my coil last night and got a real lesson in the power of
correctly sizing ones toroid.  My coil uses 3 of the 12kv/30mA NST's, with
geek group caps and a static gap of parallel copper pipes with air blown
between them.  With the small toroid (2" minor radius), I could get up to
18" arcs to ground.  Last night I tried a far bigger toroid (4" minor
radius) and the ground arcs increased to 32".  A bit of a pleasant
surprise, with my salties the big toroid had little effect.  Makes me feel
better that I'm up to around 60% of what I could be getting with a
"perfected" coil.

Cheers,

Dan Reinders