Re: making a motor synch?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

David,

Understood, no centrifugal switch.  You probably made the flats
wide enough, so the motor is probably just too weak as is.  You
can try using a larger run cap.  Perhaps a 12uF or so.  These caps
can be found in old air conditioners and other junked products.

However, since the motor can't lock even with the spinning electrodes
removed, this to me is a bad sign.  My guess is that it will never
lock with the electrodes in place.  I've noticed that the grinder
motors seem to be over-rated, for example a 1/3 HP may be only
1/6 HP, so I agree with that.  I do know that a normal 1750 rpm
1/4 HP or 1/3 HP induction motor with a centrifugal switch and
start winding but no cap, can spin such a rotor with no problem.
At 3600 rpm, a little more power is needed because of more air
resistance, but still a typical 1/3 HP motor should be OK if it's
either cap start, or has a start winding with centrifugal switch.

John