Re: How to build a Tesla Tower and free energy

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Yeah, I'm not sure if its true, but possibly one of those urban myths thrown
about by engineers over the ages.
Anyways, the lengths of wire told in these tall tales was on the order of
many miles.  I'm sure everytime the story was told
though that the distance increased!!!!

Dan

 > Nice story, but if you run the math, you can't get a lot of power... We
 > looked into this to get small amounts of power to run a beacon
 > transmitter.  I doubt you could get kilowatts with any practical setup..
 >
 > It's hard enough to couple significant power from the primary to the
 > secondary of a TC, and they're inches apart.
 >

 > Consider
 > 1)  The fields from the wires in the HV transmission line cancel to some
 > degree, especially by the time you get to ground level.  Not perfectly, of
 > course, which is why they rotate the phase conductors in the line
periodically.

 > 2) What couples is the magnetic field, which is proportional to current,
 > which, of course, isn't all that high in those line (say, 1000 Amps?),
even
 > though it may be Gigawatts of power flowing.. The infamous Path 15 in
 > California runs at 500kV, and carries about 2400 MW, planned to be
upgraded
 > to 3900 MW, although the usual load is more like 1 GW.. 1 GW is only about
 > 700 Amps in each conductor
 >
 > So, let's run a quick calculation, ignoring the field cancellation from
the
 > other conductors....
 >
 > Let's assume a current of 1000 Amps, carried in an infinitely long
 > conductor 10 meters away... Biot-Savart/Ampere gives B =
mu0*I/(2*pi*dist),
 > where mu0 = 4*pi*1E-7...
 > = 2* 1E-4/10 = 2E-5 Tesla  (for comparison, the Earth's magnetic field is
 > about 50-100 microTesla)
 >
 > Now, from Faraday's law, we can calculate the voltage induced in a
 > conductor immersed in that 20 microTesla (RMS) field. E= pi*f*B*r*l.. For
 > 60Hz, 20 microT, 2 cm diam, and 1 meter long, we get 3.14*60*2E-5*1E-2
V/m,