Re: Strike object and "Terry Filter"

Hi Jeremy,

At 10:33 PM 6/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Group,
>         Just had a couple of quick questions.  The first question
> is:  when constructing a strike object, should it be tied to  RF ground,
> or should it be connected to a separate ground rod in earth?

Either RF type ground is good.  Just not the AC ground.  A separate RF
ground just for the strike rod would be really nice, but not really needed.

>My second question is regarding the "Terry filter".  What are the purpose
>of the MOV's in the circuit?  Is it just a safe guard in case a capacitor
>shorts out?  Will leaving them out make much of difference
>functionally?  Just thought I would check before making a Digi-key
>purchase!  Thanks everyone in advance!

"Theoretically", the MOVs do not do anything.  The safety gaps "should" do
all the work.  Until someone set the safety gaps wrong or a streamer hits
the circuit or...    The MOVs are really just a last rock solid defense
against the NST burning out.  MOVs are sort of costly and they do
occasionally fail too.  But they do provide a secondary wall of defense
against NST damage.  My NSTs are pretty valuable to me so I will do
anything to protect them.  If one has a pile of NSTs, then maybe it is not
such an issue.  But with a properly wired "Terry filter", NST failures are
practically unheard of.

Cheers,

         Terry