Re: do you HAVE to make a motor sync?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>I don't want to go through all the trouble of grinding flats on motors, ect
>ect. Is there anyway i can use a "regular" motor and make it sync, without
>having to do all that grinding?
>Thanks
>Adam
>KD5WIT

Adam,

You certainly don't have to make your motor synchronous to
make your coil work. I had been running my bench grinder mo-
tor asynchronous to fire a 10 kVA pig powered coil, usually ran
at about 6 to 8 kVA and throwing 8 to 10 ft. sparks. It was not
a universal motor either and I actually had a small range of con-
trol over its speed w/ a dimmer switch assembly designed for a
ceiling fan speed control. This is NOT an ideal ASRG setup,
but it DID work. I was simply trying to convert my RSG to sync
operation because I had never tried it and I have heard so much
about it and the general consensus of this group seems to pre-
fer sync to async. If you're powering your coil w/ an NST or OBIT
and you want to use an RSG, then you will definitely need to go
with a sync design since the HV kickbacks generated by an
async RSG will quickly destroy the relatively fragile NSTs or
OBITs. With the robust pole pig or PT as a power transformer,
a synchronized RSG is not neccessary, although you can use
a SRSG if you prefer.

David Rieben