Re: Twin Coil question . . .Primary Connections

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

Hi Steve, Dan,

my comment at the end...

Tesla list schrieb:
>Original poster: "Steve Conner by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>
>
>Subject: RE: Twin Coil question . . .Primary Connections
>
>  > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > So no real benefit between running the primaries in series, or running
>them
>  > in parallel???
>  >
>  > Dan
>Running them in series will give you 4 times the surge impedance hence the
>system will tune with one quarter the tank capacitance (and require twice
>the supply voltage) compared to a parallel connection. So one or the other
>might be preferable depending on the voltage/amperage of your power supply,
>resonant frequency, and type of caps you have available.
>Steve C.
Steve, your argument is only of practical value, if the cap-value is NOT
based on the feeding PSU (i.e. NST), but changed and matched to the
resulting primary inductance. For a fixed primary cap value, the resulting
inductance, - beeing it composed by a parallel or a serial connection of 2
inductances -, need just to be the same value of resonant L, dictated by
the secondary's conditions.

However I prefer serial connection of the primaries, as mentioned already
in a posting of April 6th, Subject:Twin Tesla coils. There was no
confirmation by R.Scott Coppersmith, if his Twin primaries were indeed
connected in parallel, but before he reported:

"The tuning of my twins was a pain in the -at-#$%!!"

...which, I believe, might be, because it can be more difficult to
distribute equal currets to the 2 primaries than equal voltage (in a
resonant situation). Obviously, the proximity of more or less conducting
stuff, near the twin, easily can inbalance the symmetry of the tuning. The
energy may then again be distributed evenly, by tapping the 2 primaries
somewhat differently. See also Bill Wysocks detailed description of his big
twin Model 12 coil:

http://www.ttr-dot-com/Model12_ITS_article.htm

I also recommend winding all primary and secondary coils in the same
direction and in principle connecting both tapped ends and both inner turn
ends of the primaries, as already posted by Terry Oxandale on April
4th,2003, Subject:Twin Tesla coils  -  of course, somewhere introducing the
cap and gap.

Kurt