Re: Cable current capability

Original poster: "Richard W. by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <potluck-at-xmission-dot-com>

Sorry guys/gals...
I should have given more details though I was principally concerned about
the current carrying capability of the cable itself. A very good friend of
mine lives on a few acres not too far from here. Some in that neighborhood
have horses so you can get sort of a picture of the area's openness. Anyway,
we explored the possibilities of powering this project there, in his back
yard. Two things were apparent. First, there was room for another breaker in
the 100 amp breaker box servicing the house. The "barn" has it's own breaker
box but it's just too small to consider. Second, he has a double oven
serviced with a 50 amp breaker. I could unplug the range and use it's outlet
for power.

The cable is to get the power from there outside, a very temporary
arrangement. I only need 10 feet to get to the sliding doors in the kitchen
to get to the back yard. The 50 foot 6/4 cable would do very nicely to get
me away from the house. 40 feet from the house would be much better than 10.
The other end of the cable will be tied to a power control center featuring
6 stacked Staco 2520s (0 - 280 -at- 10 amps) for a total rated capability of
280 volts at 60 amps which gives me a good safely margin I would think.
There is much more to the power center than just housing the variacs. I plan
to also use 160 amp continous duty SCRs on each variac output to regulate,
to a point, the current output by phase triggering. (overkill to be sure but
I have them and only that size) There are more safely features built in
other than just the breakers seen on the control panel.

I have the rest of the parts so my concern right at this moment, part-wise,
is the cable.

Here are some pics though the SCRs/heatsink module isn't mounted as yet and
there's still a lot of work to be done.

  http://xmission-dot-com/pub/users/p/potluck/pics/ControlUnit02.jpg

  http://xmission-dot-com/pub/users/p/potluck/pics/ControlUnit05.jpg

  http://xmission-dot-com/pub/users/p/potluck/pics/panel01.jpg