Re: Statistics & spark length

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Dan Reinders by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <danreind-at-shaw.ca>

 > Howdy,
 >
 > I have a question regarding maximum spark length reporting.  As I take my
 > fixed, grounded rod away from the toroid, it passes through several zones.
 > The first has a continuous arc to the rod.  Going further results in
 > occaisional hits, becoming less and less frequent.  Eventually there are
 > just large, purple coronal arcs flying to thin air; relatively rarely one of
 > these makes a slight detour and touches the grounded rod.
 >
 > So which one of these is, by convention, regarded as the maximum spark
 > length?

I think that most people reports the maximum ever observed. But really
it would make sense to report the distance where there is a continuous
arc too. A fundamental thing that almost nobody mentions is how are the
terminals, if sharp points, balls, toroids, or what. This certainly
makes
significant difference.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz