Re: Spark length vs. coupling results

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 13:21 07/06/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>Hi,
>
>I would have thought that at 40 bps the loss wouldn't really matter, thats
>far less power than at 1200 bps. What I meant when I asked why 40 bps, is
>why don't you want streamer growth to affect it? I would think that it
>would be a more relevant answer, because most TCs run at high enough break
>rates for streamer growth. It wouldn't be hard to do a second test at high
>break rate would it?

I just wanted to eliminate streamer growth from the equation so I was only
studying one variable at a time. Now I can try again at a higher bps and if
we _do_ see a difference this time, we'll know that risetime influences
spark length indirectly through streamer growth.

>When you say Richie's tuned primary coils work better, is that for the
>same power, number of primary turns, or what? I think the main advantage
>in slower SSTCs is probably increased clearance from pri-sec, like you said.

We didn't measure stuff accurately enough to tell. It would have spoiled
the holiday atmosphere :D The main improvement is that it breaks out
directly from the toroid which looks cooler.

Steve C.