Re: lake ground?

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jerry Chamkis by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jchamkis-at-bga-dot-com>

 > Sounds a little scary, but when I was a kid in Los Angeles (~100 years
ago :-)
 > there was an AM radio station on Catalina Island that had wire mesh in the
 > (salt) water for their ground.  They had a -famously- strong signal.  Might
 > be irrelevant though- sea water is presumably orders of magnitude more
 > conductive than fresh...
 >
 > Jerry

	Since the beginning of "wireless" commercial stations, both radio and
communication, have always attempted to use salt water marshes for their
antenna siting.  I suspect that even "lake water" is conductive enough
to help and that anything on the bottom would have enough local mineral
contaminiation to help quite a bit.

Ed