Re: Spark length vs. coupling results

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Although knowing how coupling affects spark length without streamer growth
is good, I don't think allowing streamer growth would be introducing
another variable. As long as you don't change the break rate and coupling
at the same time, you aren't really adding another variable.

I looked into the shorted turn idea, and it looks like it would be hard to
get enough coupling. It also couldn't lower the frequency and the OLTC
doesnt have many primary turns to lose for higher frequency. I would also
think that frequency would affect streamers more than connected arcs. That
would be difficult to measure, although video tapes would help alot. Maybe
Richie or some other nearby coilers could lend you a secondary.

If you have a smooth toroid, the sparks might not "know" how long it took
to ring up. As long as you shut the power off right after breakout, you
might not need high peak power. It probably wouldn't work if you have
corona forming everywhere, but maybe with a smooth toroid. Not using a
breakout point might be an advantage because more energy is stored before
breakout.  Kinda like breakout points vs breakout bumps on spark gap coils.

Thanks for doing these tests. Schools almost out, so I can get my coil
ready to do some testing soon =^).

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz "

At 13:21 07/06/03 -0600, you wrote:
 >Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz "
 >

 >Hi,
 >
 >I would have thought that at 40 bps the loss wouldn't really matter, thats
 >far less power than at 1200 bps. What I meant when I asked why 40 bps, is
 >why don't you want streamer growth to affect it? I would think that it
 >would be a more relevant answer, because most TCs run at high enough break
 >rates for streamer growth. It wouldn't be hard to do a second test at high
 >break rate would it?

I just wanted to eliminate streamer growth from the equation so I was only
studying one variable at a time. Now I can try again at a higher bps and if
we _do_ see a ! difference this time, we'll know that risetime influences
spark length indirectly through streamer growth.

 >When you say Richie's tuned primary coils work better, is that for the
 >same power, number of primary turns, or what? I think the main advantage
 >in slower SSTCs is probably increased clearance from pri-sec, like you said.

We didn't measure stuff accurately enough to tell. It would have spoiled
the holiday atmosphere :D The main improvement is that it breaks out
directly from the toroid which looks cooler.

Steve C.

Jimmy