Re: NST Life Expectancy

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 19:30 13/06/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>
>
>When I was big into burning out neon sign transformers, I found that the old
>tar filled ones seemed to be rougher and tougher than some of the newer
>epoxied units.

I had an epoxy filled "Tunewell" brand NST. It lasted about 5 minutes of
runtime before shorting out. I tried to depot it but the epoxy was rock
hard and I couldn't get it off. I tried chisels, saws, screwdrivers, and a
drill, with no success. In the end I just got fed up and decided to take it
out to the yard and pulverise it with a sledgehammer. Little shards of
epoxy went everywhere and nearly took my eye out :( So I would vote for the
tar-filled type of NST too.

Steve C.