Re: Can you identify this "pole transformer" looking thing . . .????

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Dan,

Those are oil-immersed motor-driven relays used to switch the PFC capacitor
bank into/out of the circuit as necessary. Some distribution lines
experience fluctuating inductive loads (office buildings or stores with
fluorescent lighting, large industrial motors, etc.) that introduce voltage
sags from lagging power factor only some of the time. To improve voltage
regulation and power distribution efficiency on these lines, the power
company often installs a switchable capacitor bank in conjunction with
sensing circuitry. When the distribution feeder's voltage sags due to an
increasingly lagging power factor, the relays connect the capacitor bank to
compensate. A small step down transformer provides LV power for these relays.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Unique Offerings - Scarce Technical Books, Coins Crushed by
Ultrastrong Magnetic Fields, and Captured Lightning Bolts!