Re: Building a variable inductor ?

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

 > Dan,
 >
 > what about considering to build a variometer-type inductor? When thinking
 > about construction, I guess, any sliding contacts could be avoided.
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 > Kurt

	Variometers work fine and are easy to build.  I have some simple mutual
inductance design programs here which can be used to compute inductance
and coupling, from which you can calculate minimum (coils bucking) and
maximum (coils aiding) inductance.  Tell me what you have in mind and
I'll run a sample calculation or else I can send you a couple of
programs (Mac or PC) to let you make calculations yourself.  Designed
"by me for me" and not necessarily user friendly, but they work.

	Note that there are some much more sophisticated design programs which
have probably been entered in Terry's archives, but I'm not sure where
they are.

Ed