Re: Can you identify this "pole transformer" looking thing . . .????

Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > Thanks Ed.  Maybe I should get one of those handbooks.  I wonder where i
 > could get one.  Be fun reading!
 > Yeah, I did see a good example of the fault power cycling on TV.  A hot air
 > balloon drifted into some power lines and there was huge arc but the power
 > shut-off.
 > A few seconds later, the power tried turning on again and this time blew the
 > basket right off the balloon.  It was on RealTV or something.
 >
 > Dan

Dan,

In this case, Bert's answer about switching the PFCCs in and out to allow
for fluctuating inductive
loads was probably the correct one. I forgot about that possibility. Maybe
you should climb the pole
to find out for sure! :^) JUST KIDDING!!

"The Lineman's and Cableman's Handbook" is available from McGraw-Hill books.

http://books.mcgraw-hill-dot-com/cgi-bin/pbg/searchresult.html?q=lineman

It isn't cheap, but there's a wealth of information about the equipment
that makes our power grid
tick. It's a must have for power pole and substation spotters!

Ed Wingate RATCB