Tek P6015 thoughts - Re: Very nice High Bandwidth 75MHz HV Probe on EBAY ! ! !

Hi Ken,

The "old style" P6015 Tek probe used Freon 114 which is what the little can
had in it.  I just had an empty one here on the desk but I tossed it with
last week's trash (empty).  The can held enough for just one full
refill.  You would unscrew the end of the probe and just "pour" it in and
quickly replace the cap before it evaporated or the fumes suffocated you
(cool in the 60's, but out of place now-a-days...).  Freon 114 is no longer
available and a full can is probably worth more than the old probes
now.  114 had a fairly low vapor pressure and could be "handled" without
too much trouble (much like "1-1-1 tricky").  But the old probes will have
bad seals after all these years so don't even bother trying to fill them
now unless you can replace all the seals (they got pinched real easy
too).  One may "dream" of using other freons but forget it.  Most will
remember this funny picture I took ;-))

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P5200028.jpg

I should note that the old freon may have water in it so you should check
the inside for corrosion and recheck the solder joints inside the probe
especially to the BNC connector (a famous broken solder joint place).

What I found was that the dielectric constant of regular mineral oil was
"close enough" to F114 for the probe.  That is what I have in mine
now.  The challenge is recalabrating the "box":

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/2003-05-20-09.jpg

I never did find the "real" instructions, but a call up to the "right
person" at Tek informed me that it was all trial and error.  You just get
out a signal generator and fiddle with it and you will figure it out in
about an hour.  She was right, you soon get a feel for what each of the
adjustments does and then you just set it right.  So I would highly
recommend refilling with mineral oil.  I do note that some of the
adjustments are near the ends of the travel of the adjust screws but I
think it all will calibrate in fine with mineral oil.  It does seem to have
problems with fast high speed stuff (my gap VI measurements) but apparently
the "original claim" of beautiful 75MHz flat response was good for the
early 1960's, but sort of a funny joke these days.  The probe really is
pretty "funky" and the giant grounded body provides massive local
capacitance to anything high voltage near it.  It was wonderful in the
60's, but pretty poor compared to the performance standards now days.  The
"box" is supposed to calibrate air too.  I was wondering if I could find an
air one too see just how bad or good the mineral oil conversion was.  But I
get the impression I did real good...

I should STRONGLY note that the rated voltage of 40kV (or 20kV with no
freon) ratings of this probe are NO JOKE!!  There ain't no 500% safety
margin.  These are from the "explosion - 1%" days of safety
engineering.  Mine with air in it arcs at 22kV!!  I really wound not
consider it for any "high power" HV measurements.  The "safety" of these
probes is 1960's style, not 2003 CE.  I fear plugging it between HV and a
$4000 scope (my money!).  The newer silicone oil P6015A helps the voltage
breakdown problem...  I am hoping the mineral oil will really help the
breakdown problem too...  But in any case, you don't want to go connecting
these to a pole pig (residential distribution transformer)!!

The "latest" version (P6015A) is filled with silicone oil and has a whole
new "box".  I am not sure the old box could calibrate silicone
oil.  Really, it is time for Tek to make a fully "modern" version.  These
probes will never pass any modern performance or safety standards now
days.  The P6015 series is really long overdue for retirement...  Tek is
sort of ashamed of the 6015 style these days, but they still fill that nich...

In contrast, the fully modern Tek 5200 is a "perfect" probe.  It only does
2500 volts, but the circuit loading, bandwidth, safety, performance... are
second to none!!  Their performance is simply perfect!!   They command a
darn good price (I think Tek just raised it)!!  I also have some "similar"
rated probes from the "other guys" (TPI) that just suck in comparison, but
they only cost $50, so they are good for stupid stuff ;-))

So the old P6015 or a pretty good buy if you watch out for the safety,
circuit loading, and pretty odd high frequency performance.  Just fill them
with mineral and recal them with a signal generator, an hour of time, and a
few beers ;-)).  But they definitely are a 50 year old design and connected
to a computerized scope of today they will show all kinds of
"issues".   But even "theoretically" perfect probes like the vacuum
Jennings 60kV are pretty "interesting" if you push the 1960's specs against
today's standards...

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/2003-05-20-03.jpg

Dan (or the Captain) just made a home brew probe that was extremely
interesting and had some modern design techniques behind it!!  I wound not
be surprised if it easily outperformed the P6015...

Cheers,

         Terry