Re: Finally a Field Mill!

Original poster: "Charles Brush by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>

>I borrowed a field mill meter at my university (made by the Phywe
>company), and made some interesting measurements of weak electrostatic
>machines with it:
>http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/bohnenberger.html
>http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/bennet.html
>It's very sensitive, being able to detect a few volts a meter away, and
>has a computer connection that is convenient for more complex
>measurements.
>For those measurements, I used it as a high-impedance voltmeter, using
>an attachment that is just a plate in front of the rotating vanes.
>The instrument is not very robust, however. I have two to repair after
>someone connected the power supply input to the meter output...
>
>Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Interesting results!  One thing I would like to do at some point would be
to tap the circuit that runs the meter and run it through an a/d converter
to a computer or some other type of display.  The meter on the unit is so
small that it lacks much resolution.  It might be capable of reading field
changes during a thunderstorm which would be interesting, but some
modifications would probably be necessary

Zap!

Charles Brush