RE: Higher Mains Frequency

Original poster: "Harvey Norris by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry
 > Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 > <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
 >

 > There are a few problems.  Firstly, the length and
 > conductor sizing needs to
 > be larger than that of a 60Hz system due to the
 > increased reactance of the
 > higher frequency electrical system.
This might not be technically correct, but the current
limited NST appears to be current limited by virtue of
the impedance of the secondary. This means at 8 times
the normal 60 hz freq,( 480 hz by AC alternator) what
might normally be a 30 ma NST output becomes a 30/8 =
3.75 ma current limited output. I tried driving an arc
gap with small capacities via alternator/ NST
connections and I could not even get the gap to fire.
Also tried running a very small version of a tesla
coil, ( a leak detector used for plastic welding) at
480 hz, and got absolutely no arcing output, where at
60 hz the device makes almost a 1 inch arc. I could
get an arc gap to function using a 10 KVA pole pig
however. A mysterious thing appears to be the
non-linear behavior of impedance at 480 hz. It should
only be 8 times higher, a linear ratio according to
the equation X(L) = 2 pi*f*L. However I have
consistantly noted that the amperage conduction on an
unloaded primary of a transformer is less then what
would be suspected. Large air core inductances also
exhibit this characteristic. The coil literally acts
as if it had more inductance, where tests show that to
resonate such large coils at source freq, a
(mathematically)smaller then predicted capacity is
used. A 60 henry coil no longer acts as a 60 henry
coil when inputed at 480 hz, and the reactance test
quickly shows that fact. Of course these coils also
have an appreciable internal capacity, which may be
responsible for these observances.
HDN

_