Re: NST Core wanted, primary in tact

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 11:52 AM 21/06/03 -0600, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Jim Mora by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jmora-at-jetlink-dot-net>

 >Hi All,
 >
 >Does anyone have a depotted 120V NST with a blown secondary they would like
 >to sell?

<SNIP>

 >I would like to gut the secondary windings and try 10 turns or so of #6 as
 >I seem to remember one our esteemed experienced colleges has suggested will
 >produce considerable amperage (well insulated from the core of course).
 >
 >Flames and suggestions always welcomed.
 >
 >Regards,
 >Jim Mora
 >Ojai, Ca. US

Hi Jim, Coilers,

Why not use an MOT instead?  No tar to mess with and the secondary can be
simply cut off with a hacksaw.  MOTs are easy to come by around here, as
opposed to NSTs which are rare items indeed.  I made a nice resistance
soldering machine from a single large MOT with the original secondary
removed and replaced with a new one of 8 turns of #2 wire.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle