Re: TC-safety

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 22 Jun 2003, at 16:09, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Christoph Bohr by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

 > Hello everybody.
 >
 > After my first 7 month of coiling I always thought I did read a lot about
 > safety before I started and sofar everything worked out well without the
 > need of an amulance or even worse ;-)
 > Last week my former physics teacher joined me to have a look at my 5KVA
 > maggie ( only 4 feet output currently, I am 10 feet away ). The room is 10
 > feet X 30feet. Two day later he called me quite late in the evening and
 > said that everything I was doing was way to dangerous for two reasons:
 >
 > 1.: My MOT under oil could produce dioxine for any reason.....? why should
 > it? Is stays cold and there is now arcing under the oil... am I wrong?
 >
 > 2.: I have to do my coiling indoors and the room has carpet on the floor.
 > during summer the humidity can get pretty high ( not really tropical ). He
 > said that streamers could travel through the carpet to the walls of the
 > room and by that current would flow through my body....
 >
 > I tried to prove each of those statements but was not able to prove
 > one.....Was I only lucky until now?
 >
 > I would really like to hear from your experiences ...... I am really
 > confused and afraid.

The obvious hazard is allowing strikes to hit the carpet burning
holes in it. On the face of it, his objections seem generally ill-
informed. You could try the "Terminator" strategy I referred to in
another post.

Malcolm