RE: blowing fuses: troubles with a new system

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Ok, I will try to reply too all posts in one.

About the transformer itself....  With the mods, as i turn up the voltage
(without PFC, or any tesla load, just an arc) the current looks to go up
linearly, so im guessing that is is not saturating.  The current goes to
about 22A at 120V without the PFC.  The same scenario applies with the PFC,
but the current was only like 14A (this could just be fooling my clamp
meter as well).  I havent used the scope to look for saturation, i dont
know how?
Im guessing just look at the AC wave going into the NST primary and see
that it is indeed mostly sinuousidal?  Also, note that Ross Overstreet runs
his France 12/60 at 200ma output, and he has recorded no saturation.  The
core on my 15/60 is HUGE.  equally as large as maybe 2 MOTS together (that
is, measuring the center part of the cores).  So my guess is that the 1800w
it could push is not too strenuous for the core, but rather a bit for the
coils, they do get pretty warm.  That is why france didnt just remove some
shunts.

About the phase settings, so far three people suggest this is the problem,
i will have to agree.  I seem to remember people mentioning 2 settings of a
rotary gap that will seem to work.  1 will run fine with long sparks and
high power factor of the entire system.  2 will pull massive amount of
current and make smaller sparks.  I have a feeling i was tuned into # 2 :(
Ok, so does anyone have any characteristics of what each setting is
like(besides what i already mentioned)?  Also, since i have an
oscilloscope, i suppose i can actually look at the phasing.  IF i do this,
what phasing am i aiming for?  Should it fire before or after the peak?  If
after, should it be just at the top or just before ZVC?  This is really
what will help me.  I dont think the phase controller itself is the problem
since i can easily adjust my rotor to compensate.  But i need to know what
im aiming to get in the first place!

Also, my SRSG design does not allow manual phasing, the motor is locked
into place.

Thanks!

Steve Ward