Re: Desktop Bipolar Coil

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <classictesla-at-netzero-dot-com>

Hi Dave,

An MMC would be the route to take. 25 inch spark length may not be a good
estimate, as John's equation is empirical and derived from the classic
Tesla Coil configuration. I'm personally guessing with the coil unchanged,
a spark length between 13 and 18 inches.

Regarding a spark gap, I think a simple air-cooled static gap (RQ/TCBOR
style) would be the route to take. Given the 0.025uF size cap and the
low-current/low voltage NST, charging this cap with this supply takes time
(31.25ms). An RSG here is difficult (i.e., say SRSG at 120 BPS would result
in the cap firing at 7.8KV peak, instead of the desired 10.6KV peak. A
static gap however with 1/2 inch diameter pipe electrodes and a total gap
spacing of approx. 0.17 inch would allow the cap to charge near 10.4KV
peak. Of course, the firing rate will only be 33 BPS. Just some things to
consider if you haven't yet.

Take care,
Bart