Re: Desktop Bipolar Coil

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

Did you make a careful adjustment of coeff. of coupling?  This is one area
where many builders fail and obtain a spark considerably less than coil
length.

First, start by winding a single coil and carefully elevating sec. for
longest possible spark length.

Then, using this model, make your bipolar coil.  If you have a 4 inch dia.
sec winding the sec on EACH COIL should be the same height away from primary
as it did in your test coil.

I've seen many bipolar coils many of which have overcoupling on both
secondarys which will result in a shorter spark length than optimum
performance would if the sec's are moving out 2-3 inches.

With proper tuning you should obtain a spark length of at least 150% of your
total coil length.  Forget this important step and you will be, as Ralph
noted, considerably less than optimum.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.