RE: Differential voltage probes 1

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 16:35 28/06/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
>

>So I am wondering what a good max voltage number and top frequency should
>be?  We could push the voltage up higher I think, but the frequency will
>probably just turn out at around 5 to 10MHz.  The high resistance dividers
>are the problem.  I note Tek drops Z wildly at high frequencies to get
>higher frequency response...  Note sure that is a great idea...
>
>This type of probe would drop CMRR and all that to "don't care"...

You own a Tek P6015 probe, so you know the lengths that need to be gone to
if you want to keep a HV divider network flat to within a measly 2%. In
this application you're trying to do the same, and worse still, to match
two networks to each other. Using physically small resistors will help you
by reducing parasitic capacitance and antenna pickup effects, but this will
also reduce the voltage safety margin.

I think the tradeoffs involved mean that jobs like this would be better
done by two probes. Probe 1 would be a reasonably fast 10x active
differential probe, with maybe 500V common-mode capability and at least
20MHz bandwidth, for looking at microcontrollers, gate voltages, etc, in a
SSTC.

Probe 2 would be a 1000x passive single-ended HV probe (a cheap clone built
along P6015 lines and filled with mineral oil) or a 1000x active
diferential probe, good for 20kV (like the circuit you posted) for playing
around your conventional coils. The bandwidth of this one only needs to be
about 1MHz, indeed a low bandwidth might help by getting rid of spark gap
rubbish.

Steve C.