From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2003 7:15 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: The amazing variable choke!!

Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hello all

The amazing variable choke!! Inductive ballast you can change during
operation!!!
I made a choke. It is 500 ft of 10awg stranded wire on a 1,3/4” pvc pipe

10” long.
The core that can slide in and out of the pvc pipe is a ½” threaded rod
bundled with slim steel rods. The core is 10” and fits snugly (yet
allowing
slide) in the pvc pipe
The threaded rod is 20” long and has a wood handle.
I set up my 15/60 nst in a crude Jacobs ladder and weird the ballast in
line with one side of the 110 power feed. My variac was set to full and
with the core OUT the meter read 10-12 amps. And as I slid the core in
the
amps fell to around 1 AMP!! The choke hummed more and the fine 15kv ark
grew quieter.
With no choke the amp’s jump from 12-17. So the coreless choke acts as
an
inductive ballast. The next question is how it will work with my soon to

be, 4 pack mot stack.
I dig this thing!

Read you later
Josh