Re: Arc welder, pole pig questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

If I was only going to use 120VAC, I would forget the pole transformer for
now and wait until you do have 240VAC.  I suppose you could run 120VAC if
you ran
it from center-tap to end on secondary instead of end-to-end as you would
240VAC.

Go for a GE Potential Transformer instead.  These output 14.4kV up to 3kW
and someone on ebay sells lots of them for about $200.00 each.
Plus, the ballast is very simple.  Myself as well as Terry Blake use a
simple 500ft roll of 12 AWG wire ($10.00 home depot) for a ballast which
works quite well.

The arc welder you are looking at is basically useless.  You need to get
something like a Lincoln 225AC arc welder.  Nice hunk of iron!

The Captain