Re: Arc welder, pole pig questions

Original poster: "Bunnykiller by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Adam Britt by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><beans45601-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>
>

>I am looking at buying a 14.4 KV 5KVA pole pig. I am wondering, if i run
>this pole pig with 120 volt AC, would this reduce my output voltage of the
>pole pig (I am almost pretty sure it would, but by how much?)? Should i
>just get an electrician to come over and put in a 220AC line in my shop
>(how big should the breaker be? I was thinking 30-50amp)? I was looking at
>ebay number 2511663284. Is it better if the arc welder has a variable output?
>
>Thanks
>
>Adam

it will reduce the voltage output by 50% -55%    if you are going to run
220 to the shop and spend money on an electrician, go ahead and have the
electrician run it for 75 A service  ( depending on what your main breaker
box is rated for you may have to derate it a bit if your main box is a 100
A service)

as far as welders are concerned ...   an older model with variable output
would be best...    200A capacity welder is what you should look for ...

Scot D