Re: TC triggered high energy discharge

You can always build the chamber bigger, and it doesn't need to be totally
sealed
50 kJ in a chamber of air 0.5x0.5x1 meter should only raise the air temp by
100 degrees, so the overpressure from heating isn't extreme.. a fairly
straightforward box would do..
The shock wave from the discharge is the real problem.. Maybe some baffles,
etc.

On the other hand, one or two complaints from the homeowner's association
means no more HV experimentation in the backyard/garage..after spending a
few weeks/months getting ready to do the testing, that would be a real
problem..

For running the smallish NST based TC, with that characteristic 120Hz
crackling buzz, on the driveway periodically, you can get the neighbors to
get involved, but sizable "bangs" coming from the backyard is another story.

You also need a window to observe (visually), as well as the diagnostics you
might want (i.e. scintillation counter, etc.)...

Hmm. maybe running it in a big tank might not be a bad idea.. You could pull
a partial vacuum to get the air pressure down a bit, too.. reducing the
breakdown voltage to where 50-60 kV could breakdown a longer path.. 1/10
atmosphere wouldn't be too tough, and the breakdown would be 10 inches in a
uniform field at 70 kV... probably 20-30 inches with the right electrodes..

For comparison, most high explosives are around 50 MJ/kg energy density, so
you're talking about firing off a gram or so of HE equivalent (15 grains)

 > Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>