Re: Paralleling Filament Transformer VTTC

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Dan,

there is no reason that wont work, and there may be a benefit, but really
if you can control the transformers independantly with variacs (too much
hassle).  Here what i did for my 10V 20A supply.  Fair Radio Sales (do a
search for the website) sells a 20V 20A transformer for $20 i
believe.  They dont tell you that it has essentially 2 primary coils.  And
when you series and phase them properly, you get down to about 11v.  Then,
open up the casing and its easy enough to take off about 3 turns of the
secondary as it is exposed when you remove the copper band and some
insulation that wrap around the core and coils.  So now i have a
transformer that puts out 9.9 - 10.3 V depending on my line voltage.  At
120 in, its exactly 10.0v output ;)  And the $20 is pretty good for such a
transformer!  And since its rated 400W, this 200W load is nothing for it,
so it can run cool all day long i bet. Hope this may help.

Steve Ward.