Re: NSTs & PCBs?!?

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Steve,

PCB's are synthetic oily liquid compounds designed for their relative
inertness and electrical insulating properties.

The asphalt used to pot NSTs is a natural byproduct of petroleum
refining.  Asphalt contains significant quantities of potentially hazardous
and carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic compounds, (PCAs, perhaps a cause of
confusion) (tetramethyl chickenwire, as we used to call them in mass spec
lab at Cornell) and prolonged contact with it shoud be avoided, though
personally, I doubt that an occasional depotting session would get you in a
lot of trouble.

I wouldn't use any oven, utensil, or container that was also used for food
preparation -- unlikely anyway, 'cause of the residual stench. Petroleum
refinery workers do have a somewhat higher lifetime risk of certain
cancers, perhaps as a result of chronic PCA exposure.

HTH, Dave