Re: Stereo amplifier

Hi Sue,

At 06:00 PM 3/7/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Terry,
>
>I was just curious- Have you ever tried modulating the supply voltage of the
>SSTC with those amps. I was entertaining the notion of trying it when I
>build that mosfet coil sometime in the future.

No.  I just feed them with sine waves from a generator.  I never had them
last long enough to try anything fancy.

>I figured that all one would need to do is obtain a high powered
>matching(modulation) transformer to match the low impedance output to the
>impedance of the SSTC. One winding is connected to the amp output, and the
>other winding is placed in series with the SSTC power supply the same way I
>did it with my tube coil. You could use an RF choke in series with that, and
>then an RF bypass cap to ground to keep the coil's garbage out of the
>modulation transformer. The transformer itself would further isolate the amp
>from the coil anyway (audio transformers don't transfer RF too good).

Why not just ride an audio signal on top of the sine wave and feed it into
the line input.  Tear out the HF traps first...  The trick is to make a
coil with a real low Fo.  The GMHEICSLR TC ran at only 10kHz.

>I think the problem would arise in finding a beefy enough transformer with
>the correct impedance match. With my tube coil it was easy because there are
>quite a few modulation transformers kicking around from old Amateur radio
>gear, but solid state stuff has a different set of impedances. Perhaps
>something could be custom wound?

I played with those 70V PA multi-taped transformers a lot.  I think Radio
Shack still sells them.

>Also, an older tube type high powered tube type amp, or modulator is more
>impervious to RF garbage than solid state amps, but even those things are
>worth a lot of money to Audiophools these days!

I only had solid state.  But toob amps may do much better.

Cheers,

         Terry