Re: short question

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 3:01 PM
Subject: RE: short question

 > Original poster: "John H. Alderman III by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alderhood-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

 > Does a "normal" apply to tubes not attached to ballast and power but just
 > the Tesla affect?

Yes.

  Then tubes would glow just from the energy and the energy
 > field intensity could be controlled by throttling the ground feed back?

Presumably yes. But if say, a resistor was connected in the ground feed
a few more possibilities arise dependent on the position of the ground
terminal.

If the cage was ungrounded and the secondary return grounded, a voltage
would exist between the cage and ground which -if sufficiently large- would
allow.
tubes to be lit from contact with or proximity to the cage exterior.

If the cage was grounded and the secondary return ungrounded, a voltage
would exist between secondary return and ground.
Tubes could then be lit from contact with ,or proximity to, the secondary
return lead.

I have not seen the new Philips bulbs yet.
  Do you referring to "induction" lamps that use a coil to excite the gas
without electrodes, or the more common compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) that
use a half-bridge inverter and series-resonant tuned circuit to produce the
high voltage needed to start the tube, only I understand that Vladimiro
Mazilli uses a similar circuit to the latter in his SSTCs.

Jolyon.