RE: Input power measurement

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Skip -

For your TC the right angle power triangle consists of three powers

   1. Active power (watts) - X axis
   2. Reactive power (RVA) or(VAR) - Y axis
   3. Total power (VA)- hypotenuse

The cosine of the angle between the Active power and the Total power is the
power factor as a decimal.

For this TC the 2000 represents the total power or VA. The 1080 probably
represents the active power or watts. The power factor angle would then be
arc cos (1080/2000) = 57.3 degrees. The power factor would then be cos
(57.3) = .54 or 54 percent. The reactive power would be VA sine(57.3) = 1674
RVA.

This NST would be considered a low power factor (LPF) transformer. If you
added a 159 uf capacitor it would bring the power factor to about 90
percent. It is not a good idea to make the cap any larger than 159 uf. You
could then use a smaller fuse. More information is on my website at
    http://www.miramar.sdccd.cc.ca.us/faculty/jcouture/tesla/index.asp?ID=5

John Couture