RE: Input power measurement

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

All -

It should be noted that on Richie's web site below the example for the
or
400 KW. This amount of load on a house service would not be possible because
of the limitations of the utility electric service. Therefore, when
calculating the loading at the NST (or any TC power transformer) the
limitations of the electric service have to taken into account. If the
service voltage is 240 volts the service current would be W/V = 400000/240 =
1666 amps, not possible with the typical house service.

The question is what exactly would the true voltages and currents be at the
TC power transformer of any size or load when these high wattages are
involved? It is very possible that with a weak electric service the resonant
charging voltage at the NST would not be high enough to overstress the NST.
This can only be determined by doing the necessary calculations. To my
knowledge no one has ever done these calculations for any Tesla coil system.

Note that this is not a crank posting. I agree with Richie's calcs as far as
they go.

John Couture