Re: Dangers of SSTCs ! ! ! Measured

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

YIPES is right.  Of course, this is also with my SSTC operating at about 2kW
CW mode (DC input) which i can only run for about a minute before the huge
heatsinks on my FETs start
to get smokin' hot!

You can definitely "feel" the E-field in the vicinity of running these
things and get nasty RF burns touching anything metallic in the area.

Actually, based on power output, I still think the SSTCs generate a heck of
a lot stronger RF field than a conventional coil running the same power.
For example, i can draw at least a 0.25" arc off anything metallic in my
basement when operating my SSTC especially in CW mode.  I cannot do the same
when operating
my tesla coils in the same area.  Same with flourescent tubes.  They'll
illuminate anywhere in the basement when my SSTC is running, but will only
illuminate when brought relatively
close to my conventional coil.

Yeah, I have to look again at the specs on how this actually operates
whether its detecting peak or an RMS value.  The probe head is definitely
only reads from 100kHz to 1MHz.
So when you get 1000 V/m (270mW/cm^2) and over 3000 V/m (2.4W/cm^2), thats
considerable!!!!!

Dan