RE: Input power measurement

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I don't think that the cap being mains-resonant results in the maximum
current draw.  With my 15/60 NST, I've noted OK performance with a
mains-resonant 0.01uF cap, better-still performance (and comparably higher
mains current) with a 0.02uF cap, and unstable performance with
breaker-popping current draw with a 0.03uF cap.

It appears that when driving a Tesla Coil load, the faceplate rating on an
NST is irrelevant, grossly understating the maximum possible VA draw.  I
"think" it has to do with a near-resonant mains condition of the NST
secondary and the tank cap.  If you have a LTR cap trading energy to the
NST, a larger cap will dump more energy into the NST, resulting in a higher
secondary current, saturating the current shunts.

Gary Lau
MA, USA