Re: Energy stored in primary again

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

 > On the subject of inductive storage
 > isn't this relevant  both to "buzzer-testing" of TCs
 > and to "kicker-coils"
 > where in both instances the spark gap is replaced by buzzer contacts
 > and the high voltage power transformer by an iron-cored choke?

If I remember correctly the configuration of a kicker coil power
supply, it consists of a relatively low-voltage supply connected
to a large coil, that forms an electromagnet that opens a switch
in series with the circuit. So far exactly as in the primary circuit of
an induction coil. But in this case, there is a primary capacitor
of a Tesla coil in parallel with the switch. The system is designed
so the energy in the kicker coil is transferred to this capacitor,
and the Tesla coil operates when the switch closes (or almost) again,
when the current in the kicker coil decreases enough.
If the current in the gap (that is also the switch of the kicker
coil) will be interrupted (quenched) at one of the notches of the
Tesla coil operating cycle, depends on the speed of its closure.
So, the system is a Tesla coil, not an induction coil. The kicker
coil is essentially an induction coil without secondary coil, used
to charge the primary capacitor.

 > Has anyone tried using a blocking oscillator or similar to replace the
 > electromechanical switch
 > for a truly electronic kicker-coil?

Possible, but the switch will have to sustain the full primary
voltage of the Tesla coil, and with two polarities. It's easier
to replace the kicker coil by an induction coil.

 > Also, aren't the above devices examples of "real" Tesla coils rather than
 > simple
 > induction coils?

Yes. A simplified version of an induction coil powering a Tesla coil.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz