Primary Coilform size for VTTC

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Just a question regarding your experiences with your VTTCs.
I see that most people are using a 6" or greater primary coilform for their
VTTCs.
However, the largest size I have is only 5.5".  I've used 5.5" successfully
for solenoid wound primaries on
my SSTC, but the primary voltages are much lower than those experienced in
VTTCs.  My only concern is that you
guys are going with the wider primaries because of the close-coupling of the
solenoid wound coil and to prevent
primary to secondary arcing.  But with your experiences, do you think 5.5"
is adequate enough or should I kill myself and my pocketbook trying to get a
6"+ primary coilform.

Thanks