Re: New three TC finished! but i need some help

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/10/03 5:28:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Ed,
>
>      Thanks for your help again Ed. I was starting to suspect that the total
>capacitance for the two toroids would be around 75% that of the two totals,
>because for my other coil I used your spread sheet and that always checks
>out to be correct but the two toroids thing threw me off, thanks for
>confirming what I was thinking. Also when I tap the primary at 8.75 turns
>while still having a break out point on, I get some smaller faint streamers
>of the front and other side, dose that mean its in perfect tune? Another
>thing is will there be any problems with having to much topload, other than
>that I wont get breakout without a breakout point? I was also wondering if
>you or perhaps someone else would know a formula for determining breakdown
>voltage of a Cu pipe multi segmented spark gap? k thanks for your help!
>
>Nolan Moore

Nolan,

As for perfect tune - I can't really say.  I just tune for longest
sparks.  When using a breakout point or breakout wire on the toroid, it is
normal to be getting other sparks leaving the toroid directly.  I am not
aware that a toroid can be too large, as long as you are getting
breakout.  Sorry, can't help you on the gap question.

Ed Sonderman