Re: Fw: Re: A further belated s.s. realization

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

More on my revised design...

I'll prevail on Terry to put up

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/prianal2.jpg

It shows my concept for the
revision to my Entertainment Machine--the revision being in progress.

I've run an analysis of it in Newbury Technology Ltd's SIMetrix & the
results look very good.  As I've mentioned, it's basically the same as
before except that I relocate a new set of (electrolytic) storage
capacitors to mechanical/electrical positions directly adjacent to the
transistors.  Also, I'm biting the bullet & going to IGBTs and doing away
with the multiple-conductor primary turns.  I'll use my existing power
supplies, MOSFET drivers, secondary(ies), etc.

SIMetrix shows me getting ~50A p-p through 10 uH of (untuned) primary
inductance at 100 KHz with the ~4x150V applied to the primary from the 8
storage capacitors.  That 10 uH is just an approximation to what the
inductance will end up being; it's 3 equivalent turns on 12" nominal
diameter.

Those interested might note that Newbury has a new version of SIMetrix
which incorporates a power-electronics sub-program.  I haven't tried
using that part yet.  The "Intro" version is still a freebie.  I threw up
my hands at the PSpice kludge but SIMetrix is really user-friendly.
Perhaps a few of you fat-cats on the List (are there any?) may care to
spring the ~$1K or so for the kosher program.

Ken Herrick

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 13:00:00 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
 > Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz
 > <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>
 >
 > Well, now I'm backtracking again.  Further cogitation leads me to
 > believe
 > I may not have a problem after all.>

[snipped]

 > Still having concerns, I made up a drawing comparing my original
 > scheme
 > with what I've started on as a re-design.  See
 > http://hot-streamer/temp/prianal.gif.  The drawing shows current
 > flows
 > for 1/2 cycle of primary excitation.   The circuits do not show the
 > several primary turns I actually employ but the principle is the
 > same.

[snipped]