RE: Input power measurement - Modifying Power Meters

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

I have no clue how these things work, but if they use a current transformer
to sense current, you can can multiply the
number of turns of your power wire through this transformer to increase the
current.

For example, if you had a single turn on a current transformer and the meter
was only reading 1A, if you modified this to
have 10 turns on the current transformer, the meter would then read 10A.

Again, I'm not sure of the physical make-up of these things, but if this is
how they are measuring current, you can modify
it this way.

The Captain

          OK.

 >The problem is that the dials rotate too slowly to be useful.

          Even the disc?
          Might need a second observer, with a watch...

 >Does anyone have any ideas as to how to soup up the dials.

          Bigger Tesla Coil?
          8)>>

          Fair question, I've not monkeyed with trying to
          vary the sensitivity.  Dunno if there are calibration
          adjustments (and: once 'adjusted' the calibration would
          be Very Suspect.)
          The design is tightly optimized for 'house size'
          loads, so may bot be Real Adaptable.
          CONCEPTUALLY, a current transformer could be used
          to 'fool' the meter's current winding, however it would
          be a nonstandard device.  Ditto a transformer for the
          voltage winding...

          I DO recall that many such are marked '15A', and am
          told that this DOES NOT mean 15A is max, rather that
          15A is the current used to calibrate...

          best
          dwp

...the net of a million lies...