Re: Over-coupled or under-insulated?

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

First thing, I goofed on the primary diameter. It has two inches spacing
all around the secondary and for some reason I thought it was 9.25. It is
actually a 10.25 diameter, flat pancake coil. I haven't had any trouble
with the primary sparking, (to answer the previous email) but I have about
4 or 5 extra turns left. Win tesla says it should be tuned at turn 6.
That's where I have it currently. The toroid has a 27 inch outermost
diameter made with 3 inch flex tubing. It is spaced 4.5 inches above the
uppermost winding, with the wire being slowly tapered off to prevent top
turn corona. The sparks are all confined to the middle of the secondary,
and it's not sparking to anywhere else, just along itself. The power supply
is a 9/120 NST, cap is .05uf, spark gap is a vaccum RQ gap. I am using a
variac to slowly bring up the power. Here are a couple of pics:

Here is an old picture (the wiring was replaced with thicker gauge, the
primary was trimmed, secondary raised a LOT, etc) of the large coil with my
mini coil on top. The secondary and toroid still look exactly the same.

<http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/miniattoribus.jpg>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/miniattoribus.jpg

This is a picture of the spark gap. The pipes sit with the gaps over the
slits in the pipe. The vaccum motor on the top then pulls the air through
the slits.

<http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/SG-1.jpg>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/SG-1.jpg

The transformer. Pretty self-explanitory. Directly behind it you can see
the way the secondary is supported. There are 4 threaded rods with nuts on
them that the whole base that the secondary sits on. That way,  I can raise
and lower the secondary at my discretion. However, I ran out of rod length
to raise the coil up, so i ended putting a couple of boards underneath to
raise it higher.

<http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NST-1.jpg>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NST-1.jpg

So there's the five cent grand tour. (I would put all of this stuff on a
website if I knew how) If you need any other info, be sure to ask.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz "

In a message dated 3/13/03 9:03:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,