From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 6:31 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Input power measurement

Hi Paul,

Good catch there in catching John in an "error".  First error John has ever
made in my memory :o)))  Hahahha!  He has a nice "real" power meter I just
sent him now too!!!  John's TCCG has remained almost perfectly error free
for almost a decade!!  John usually catches us in errors, rather than us
catching his vast knowledge!!  ;-))  John is one of the very top gurus in
our sport...  I take his posts simply as "fact"!!

Really cool about your power meter stuff!!  I have "stuffed" lots of power
meters ;-)), but they were the old "coil, iron, and bunch of gears"
things...  If these new ones can flash an LED to high precision, then any
old scope or counter can probably pick out that timing to very high
accuracy.  Real power meters are well known for "lack" of failing...

But, I am going for these Prodigit power meters from China...  They put
together all the good "tech" and also have the "cheap" factor too.  We just
have to make them not blow up.  The UL, TUV, CE, guys have made these a
little "too" fail proof...  Better to fail the meter 50% of the time rather
than cause a house fire 0.00001% of the time thing...  Many thanks to Jim
in mentioning these wonders to us and we hope China can fill our demand for
them ;-))  They are pretty hard to find "in stock"...

My power meter is still coil iron and gears...  But the new water meter
(that I ground everything too) is now all fancy electronic gizmos that the
lady passes the wand in front of and the thing records the water usages at
a distance...  My water bills are reasonable as opposed to 857498578457
quadra zillion cubic light years so I guess coiling has not affected
it...  The water meter seems to just click off every 100 gallons down here,
but he meter on the house seems to have all the brains safely distant...

I think real accurate input power measurement is now an "easy thing"...  We
may pop a meter know and then, but it is still "easy" nowa days...

Cheers,

          Terry