RE: Hookup Wire

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I must echo the Captain on this point. 4AWG hookup
wire is a bit over the top for a small, NST-based
hobby coil. I've used 14AWG stranded, rubber-armored
25kvdc wire for temporary hookup on my NST and
MOT-based coils because I have a good supply of it
from the recycle bin at work. It worked just fine, and
replacing it with thicker, permanent wiring did not
visibly improve performance. Sometimes, when I'm in a
big, fat hurry to get a new coil wired up for first
light, I use strips of 2" wide aluminum tape folded
lengthwise to make 1" wide foil strips. These can be
torn to the correct length by hand, no insulation
stripping, lug-crimping, or other preparation is
required, and they can quickly be bent or shaped to
make any sort of connection. The resulting tank wiring
looks like crap, but works perfectly. My point? You
don't need finger-thick copper cable to run at
sub-pole xfmr power levels.

Regards,

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry
 > Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 > <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
 >
 > Suggesting no less than 4 AWG for a 12/30 or 12/60
 > coil is absurd.  12 AWG
 > stranded wire is perfectly acceptable for this
 > application.>
 > The Captain
 >
 >   >From the gap through the caps and the return
 > should be no less than 4 AWG

=====
Gregory R. Hunter

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg