Re: Proper primary wire

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Dr.,

I have done this using some Pearson current monitors on my 3.5kW tesla coil.
Once during prototype testing and tuning when i was using some scrap 12 AWG
solid wire which I had
lying around and then again when I made up some permanent connections use 6
AWG stranded wire which I trashpicked from work.  Peak currents were only
slightly higher using
the 6 AWG stranded wire.  Also, arc length measurements yielded no visible
increases when measured from discharge point on toroid to ground rod with 2"
corona ball using the 6 AWG
wire.  Sure 12 AWG wire may prove restrictive for coils >5kW, but for a
small 500-800 watt coil, 12 or 14 AWG is more than adequate.

The Capt.

 > It's not absurd at all.
 >
 > Remember Ohm's Law.  The highest resistance point in the circuit will
 > determine the maximum current that can flow.  If it's limited by the 14
AWG
 > wire then this is an area where the proper design would have prevented the
 > problem.  The primary builds it's magnetic field which is determined by
 > maximum current flow.  Restrict the current just a small amount in this
area
 > and you begin to restrict performance.  Not a lot, I agree, but it will be
 > restricted.
 >
 > Peak currents can be as high as 50-60 Amperes and we must remember that
 > these are high frequency currents not just DC or 60 Hz currents so the
usual
 > charts do not apply.
 >
 > If you do the experiment and measure the peak currents with 14 AWG and 4
AWG