Re: Proximity sensor for RSG

I think your real problem is going to be finding a sensor that is EMI
immune. The magnetic sensors (hall effect) are fairly low level signals (at
least internally).
I'd think some sort of optical pickup is your best bet.  If you've got a
bit of optics (i.e. some small convex lenses) you could make something that
can be a bit of distance from the rotor, and furthermore, which can keep
all the electronics in a shielded box.   A laser diode makes a nice bright
source that's visible, for alignment. A red filter over the detector helps
improve the SNR, and you can just use any old photodiode or transistor as a
detector, and capacitively couple the output.  To restrict the field of
view, you can either use a lens, or just put the detector at the end of a
tube that's painted black on the inside, so it can't "see" anything except
the target spot.

If you really want to get the SNR up, make your targets out of that
retroreflective tape (ScotchBrite reflector...)