Re: safety gap size

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > As an alternative, perhaps all who currently have functioning
 > coils could take a measurement, and we could form a collective
 > of the data (voltage,gap_size), and derive a reasonably accurate
 > formula from that data that we, and future generations of coilers
 > could benefit from for centuries to come.
 >
 > Imagine... SafetyGap_mm = Nst_E * X
 >
 > Who will be the first to find "X" ???

"X" has already been done.  Long ago!

There are very accurate formulas available for calculating this.  However,
there are many variables.  Nowhere as simple as your SafetyGap_mm = Nst_E *

The following are some of the primary variables which can greatly affect
spark gap distance:

1.  Geometric Profile of Electrode 1 (i.e. diameter of sphere if sphere
terminal is used)
2.  Geometric Profile of Electrode 2
3.  Atmospheric Pressure (This really matters.  My 100kV spark gap here in
NJ will be different size than Terry Fritz's 100kV spark gap in Colorado)

However, there are charts available (i think even Terry Fritz has some on
the website) showing spark gap distance vs. spark gap sphere sizing etc...

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/SGapVolt.jpg

The Captain