Re: transformers in oil?

>i have a MOT, so i would take that transformer, place it in a container
>and then fill the container with oil? i would have to drill holes in the
>container for the wires to extend out. but as long as it's airtight it
>should work? i was thinking that if you could have an oil pump that
>circulates the oil, like a transmission that has an oil cooler, that this
>might be even better. would this work? also, i would think that the colder
>the oil, the better- right?
>
>i think that i should do this in the garage, my wife would kill me if i
>spilled oil in the living room. <:)

You've got it exactly..  Usually, you arrange for the equipment to have
some "lifting point" so you lower it into the tank. (rope tied around it,
eyebolts, etc.)  That way, when you need to service it, you just lift it
out, let it hang for a while dripping the oil back into the tank.  The tank
then serves as a place to keep the oil while you work.  Otherwise, you need
to figure out how to drain and fill...

no pump needed.. From a cooling standpoint, you're cooling at the surface
of the liquid and it's container, which is larger (in surface area) than
the surface of the thing you've immersed.  If you're dissipating serious
heat, then you can arrange for thermosyphon type arrangements (i.e. the oil
gets hot in the middle, floats up (less dense) flows to the outside, cools
off, and sinks.  Look at one of the big pad mounted transformers with fins.

You bet you want to do this outside....