Re: www.midcentralelectric-dot-com -- Prices

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 12:25 PM 02/05/03 -0600, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

<BIG SNIP>

 >I don't see the baby pigs having any practical advantage over potential
 >transformers, which seem to be about the same size, have plenty of power,
 >and you can get them cheaper.  Maybe the pigs are tougher because of the
 >oil filling, but has anyone blown a PT before?  Is it just the cool
 >factor of owning a genuine pig?
 >
 >Steve C.

Hi Steve, Coilers,

I've never had my hands on a PT, but I do see one downside to them in that
their primary as we would use them is only 120 Volts, whereas pigs usually
are 240 Volts.  With twice the voltage, the current is halved, meaning the
filters, variac, power leads, etc. can all be smaller for any given power.
I do have to admit that my pig sure gets OOHH's and AAHH's when I show my
coiling lab to interested guests, so there's the "coolness factor" alright.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody has survived it yet!"

Listening: 7,055, 147.030+, and 442.075+
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle