proximity of ballast to variacs

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello all....

I'm working on my control panel for the pole transformer and I would LOVE
to enclose the ballast with the whole works.. I'd rather have one heavy
unit than several heavy parts I have to hook up. Anyway, the ballast would
be rather close (like 6 or so inches) from the variac. Here's the layout
though....the variac is mounted to the bottom of a steel X-ray Transformer
tank and the ballast (which consists of a straight set of transformer
laminations open ended) would be mounted above it and to the side. I tested
the ballast out today on 120V and there is a definite e-field around it,
since it started pulling screws and the like toward it! any thoughts on
this would be most appreciated!

Chris W